Selecting health insurance isn’t easy. Every insurance company offers different plans, pricing, and numerous exclusions. Ultimately, the health insurance policy you end up with will be unique to your circumstances and where you live. However, you do have a certain amount of say in your insurance carrier, so here is a breakdown of a customer satisfaction survey of some of the highest-rated companies in the US: Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana, Kaiser Permanente, Aetna, and United Healthcare.
Keep in mind that the overview below is just that, and that you will need to request quotes from each of these companies to compare which each would work best for you.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
One of the highest rated health insurance companies today is Blue Cross Blue Shield. It has received the highest overall review for customer satisfaction. Key among its advantages is the availability of short-term insurance that is compliant with the ACA’s stipulations for essential coverage and its extensive options for customizations. Other benefits include:
- The widest selection of plans from large carriers; the company has 37 individual organizations within it.
- The premiums for nonsmokers who are between 35 and 55 have an average price range compared to other providers.
- The company offers a nice health and wellness program through Blue365, a free program which offers discounts on products such as gym memberships and vitamins.
- It is easy to reorder medication through the website’s Prescription manager.
Humana provides some outstanding benefits in addition to being one of the least expensive companies overall among the top-ranked companies. While Humana is only available in 22 states as of now, if you have a nationwide PPO plan, you can find a provider across the country. Highlights of Humana include:
- It offers numerous plan options, some of which allow consumers to select care from other providers.
- The company offers comprehensive dental, vision, and other supplemental policies.
- Many of Humana’s plans offer home health care for those who are transitioning from a hospital stay or are homebound.
The company does not offer short-term plans.
One of the most recognizable names in health insurance is Kaiser Permanente. On average, these policies are less expensive, especially for those who are over the age of 55. In addition, they offer a moderate level of coverage options. One disadvantage is that the company’s hospitals and doctors are only in eight states and the District of Columbia. Great benefits include:
- A large network of providers within California, Colorado, Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Georgia and Hawaii.
- The company’s rates tend to be moderate to low, especially for those over the age of 55.
- Most plans include options for vision and dental.
- KP offers short-term medical coverage that is ACA-compliant.
Aetna is a well-respected health insurer for several reasons. The most important is its affordable plans, but it also has a number of good supplemental programs. Its other selling points include:
- A range of policy options is available, giving people a lot of choices including dental and vision plans, plans for students, and international policies.
- Their supplemental packages include hospital and critical care policies.
- In terms of rates, prices are the lowest overall for those who are 55 years or older, and below average for those under 55.
- Its website is easily accessible and features a live tweet function while shopping for quotes.
A customer-friendly company overall, this organization has an excellent website and online support system. Although it’s known for the coverage of its plans, its costs are high compared to other insurers. Benefits include:
- Short-term, ACA-compliant coverage is available.
- Its health and wellness programs are excellent.
- There are many online tools to help you to manage your account, get prescriptions refills, track deductibles and expenses, and find doctors in your area.
When it comes to selecting a health insurance policy, it pays to take a closer look at these companies. You may find a variety of plans available that can meet your specific needs and your budget.